Monday, April 26, 2010

Guiso de Maiz (Corn Stew)


My husband moved up here before me to get the house we were remodeling in order. Since we were apart for a period of a few months, I flew up to see him a couple of times. (really: I wanted to check on the progress of the house). He drove me around town and within ten minutes we were in the corn fields. Acres and acres, miles and miles. Isn't it beautiful? he asked. I sighed. Yes darling, it's beautiful. (really: Good Lord! I'm in the middle of nowhere!)  I had to accept reality. The amber waves of CORN were not ocean waves… but when in Rome … make Guiso.

To make this Cuban Corn Stew you will need:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
4-5 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 small spanish chorizos, skin removed and sliced
or
1 kielbasa sausage, cut into slices
or
about 2 cups worth of diced ham
1 can tomato sauce
1 bay leaf
1 can cream style corn
1 can whole kernel sweet corn (15 oz)
or frozen corn kernels
or
two fresh ears of corn, cut into one inch chunks (or you can slice the kernels off)
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced
about a dozen small green pimento stuffed olives, whole
2 cups water or broth
4 hard boiled eggs 
salt to taste

I'm making this guiso with ham. Saute the onions, peppers and garlic in the olive oil, along with the ham, add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, creamed corn, sweet corn, potato, carrots, olives and water.  (The potatoes will thicken the stew, so you may need to add a little more water, use your judgement) Let simmer 20-30 minutes.  Remove bay leaf. Peal your 4 hard boiled eggs and add them whole to the stew.

Serve with white rice or bread.

5 comments:

  1. that looks very good, I'll try this variation sometime, my guiso I prepare it almost like a "Potaje", I sautee the sofrito with chorizo and pork meat or ham, then add the water, corn to boil with everything and towards the end calabaza and papa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the eggs in it though

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favourite dishes, and I remember vividly when my mother used to make this dish. This is really delectable! Now I live in Vancouver, Canada and my Canadian family truly loves this as well... tonight I am going to make it a “Guiso” night! Let's go shopping for the stuff we need!

    Being in the middle of “nowhere” could be, if not dangerous, a real treat, a connection to our true human roots. Enjoy it, enjoy your house and family.

    Cheers!

    Jose

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the comment Jose. Guiso is such a simple dish that affords such "comfort." Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete