Friday, July 2, 2010

Chocolate Amaretto Bread Pudding: What??


Oops, I did it again. I made another one. I had to clear out the freezer, and I didn't want to keep making the same bread pudding, so I decided to be inventive. My cousin left behind a package of Hershey's dark cocoa powder and I had the remains of a bottle of Amaretto DiSarono from two Christmases ago, so I thought … what the heck. I checked the pantry to make sure I had the necessary ingredients for the basic bread pudding and to my dismay I had no sweetend condensed milk. I remembered that when my mother used to run out, she would use regular milk and add sugar. Seeing as this dessert did turn out pretty darn good, I'm going to write down exactly what I did and not what I think I shoud have done. Makes sense? I'm a little confused. LOL.


For caramelizing:
1 cup sugar

For the pudding:
about 6 cups worth of bread cut into 1/2" cubes.
1 can evaporated milk (1 cup)
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
2 tablespoons Amaretto liqueur
2 heaping tablespoon Hershey's dark chocolate powder.



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In an aluminum bread pan over medium-low heat, melt sugar until liquefied and golden in color. Carefully tilt the pan to evenly coat the bottom and sides.

Cut your leftover bread into cubes and place into a large mixing bowl.
In a blender beat the evaporated milk, milk, sugar, eggs, amaretto and chocolate powder. Pour this mixture into the bowl with the cut up bread and stir. Let sit for a few minutes for the bread to absorb some of the liquid. If it appears too dry you may add a little more milk.
Place this mixture into the caramelized bread pan.
Place this pan into a larger rectangular pan that is at least 2 inches deep.
Place both of these into the oven and pour hot water into the larger pan to about half way full.
Bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours, until a knife comes out clean when inserted into the center of the pudding
Let cool and refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight.
Use a knife to separate the sides of the pudding from the pan. Invert onto a serving plate. The caramel syrup will cover the pudding.

4 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I love your craziness! My father made once pudín de chocolate in Cuba, but I wasn't crazy about it because it came out hard and bitter, so that was it for that trial idea... Now, your recipe makes sense and it looks just delicious (I love Amaretto, anyway!). I gotta try this one myself!. Hugs and happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! It looks so delicious! Hey it's a holiday weekend...right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It did turn out delish. I justified making something non-diet because I had company last night and I sent part of it home with them. What's left will be consumed between my mother and daughter and whoever stops by on the weekend.(I'm grinning because I know I'll have another piece, oh my!)

    Hope everyone has a great 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete