Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sweet Potato Crab Cakes


Here I go again... frying something. I bought a a sweet potato last week. I like to make sweet potato fries instead of the regular potato French fries now an then, but I wanted to make something different this time. I guess by now you've figured that I like crab. A couple of years ago I had sweet potato crab cakes at a local food fair, and they stuck in my mind. I did a little research and didn't really find any specific recipe that appealed to me, so I went ahead and put together ingredients that I thought made sense.

1 1/2 to 2 cups worth of grated sweet potato
6 to 8 oz canned lump crab meat, drained
1/4 cup onion, minced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, minced
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (if using dried like I did use one tablespoon)
1 teaspoon salt

oil for frying
lime to garnish

Peel and grate your sweet potato or run through a food processor. In a large bowl combine all your ingredients. Heat about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a skillet. Form a ball with about a tablespoon of the mixture and drop into  hot oil. (You may have to press the balls in your hands to squeeze out excess liquid.) Drop balls in one by one adjusting the temperature of your oil as you go. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate. Squeeze a little lime on top if desired. Serve with your choice of dipping sauce.


(Note: you may only notice one egg in the photo. I added another one after I took the picture.)

3 comments:

  1. Very creative! They sound good with the sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yummy you really open the door for creativity. My mother makes zucchini patties, and preparing it is very similar to your recipe minus the potato and crabmeat, so maybe next time I make them I will use a sweet potato in addition.

    I really appreciate the photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started this blog I wasn't sure exactly in what direction I would take it, but I was certain that I would show as many pictures of my steps in cooking as I could. I get frustrated when I look up a recipe and there isn't even a picture of the finished dish, much less the steps. I'm happy that you appreciate them. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete