Monday, December 6, 2010

Meatless Monday: Sopa de Papas • Potato Soup


4 medium potatoes, diced
2 cups vegetable broth (I made my own, but canned is fine)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sour cream
Salt
shredded cheddar cheese (optional

In a soup pot boil your potatoes in 2 cups of vegetable broth until tender but not mushy. In the meantime, sauté your onion, celery and garlic in butter. Add this to your soup pot, add the milk and sour cream and season with salt to taste. Stir. Bring to a gentle boil, cover and turn off the heat. Serve in soup bowls and sprinkle with cheddar cheese. (You can refrigerate leftovers but may have to add more broth if it thickens too much when reheating).


P.S. My husband, of course, wanted bacon bits. So if you're not doing the vegetarian thing, go right ahead and sprinkle some bacon bits on top with your cheddar cheese.

2 comments:

  1. Ivonne, you've inspired me again! My husband has been asking me for potato soup for a couple of weeks and I've been telling him that it's too hot for it! With the nights going down to the high 30's and 40's this week though, I think I'll give in! I've never put sour cream in mine. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria, I've seen recipes that call for sour cream and others that don't. I've even seen recipes that include beer! I had leftover sour cream from Thanksgiving, so I included it. My husband really liked it... with the bacon bits, of course! HAH

    ReplyDelete